Chosen carefully, accessorizing can transform any outfit into a fabulous fashion statement that will turn all heads in your direction.
From scarves, to gloves, to shoes and not to mention jewelry, the possibilities are truly endless. When it comes to accessorizing there aren’t really any rules. Well, except the first rule, which is to never talk about… Oh, wait. Wrong movie.
Accessories have the power to accentuate our best points and minimize our worst, bring an older outfit up-to-date and make it look like we just stripped it off the runway. However, if you’re not quite sure how to work the magic of accessorizing, here are a few guidelines from my experience, that will show you the proper way.
Pick your bag carefully
When it comes to handbags, there are four elements I take into consideration when I’m out shopping: look, quality, utility and brand. Four simple things you can easily remember, that will greatly help you in this endeavor.
If you’re looking to find a great go-to piece that you can use over and over again then buy a high-quality, medium sized big in a neutral color. Choose one that will go with most of your outfits, from jeans to dresses and that will last a few good seasons.
For a standout bag, don’t think only about your clothes when you buy it. Think about your personality, too. For example, are you quirkier than a girl wearing a tutu and knitting a cozy for her Starbucks mug? Than Moschino is the brand for you. Just take a look at their collection for spring 2016.
Create a ‘jewelry base’
It’s best to create a ‘jewelry base’ composed of a few quality items that will never go out of style. Some ideas are:
- a classy and very elegant pearl necklace, for the moments you feel sophisticated – even though you’re going for pizza around the corner.
- a few statement pieces you can wear when you need to embellish an under-toned outfit. Or, you know, because fake diamonds can be a girl’s best friend, too – right?
- a few delicate pieces, because it’s good to have pieces to choose from when you want your accessories to take more of a backseat.
- some gold items, because gold never goes out of style and you can wear it with absolutely anything. And because you can channel your inner Kanye West if you put just enough gold on yourself.
- some silver items, because they go with everything and it’s not like they ever go out of style.
Learn the ins and outs of layering
If your belief regarding jewelry is that there is no such thing as ‘too much’, that’s fine. Sometimes we do need to go overboard and add as much sparkle as we can, especially when we’re having a bad hair day. However, in this case, you need to know how to layer. Simply adding one piece next to the other can make you look like you’re trying to sell them, rather than wear them. So here’s how you do it correctly:
- Layering bracelets and your watch – you can add as many bracelets, bangles, colors, and metallic pieces as you want, as long as the nuances go together and all the bracelets are the same style. For example, say you’re piling thin bracelets. Then don’t add a big, thick one in the middle, because it will only ruin the harmony.
- Layering necklaces –there are several ways to go about this. You can go for a delicate, gradual effect, starting with thin and short necklaces at the bottom of your neck and finishing with longer and chunkier ones; you can use a lariat necklace to help give length; or you can pair some statement, larger than life necklaces with dainty chains for a harmonious look.
- Layering rings – Stackable rings have become quite the rage in the past few years, breaking the barrier from ‘bohemian festival look’ and entering the mainstream. If you are going to stack rings, make sure you decide on a certain metal and stick with it. Also, while you can play with textures, layering doesn’t mean adding as many rings as you can, so it’s not necessary to overcrowd your fingers. Add one ring that has a small gem or different color, in order to break the pattern and make it more interesting.
Choose seasonal appropriate accessories
A true fashionista loves a good challenge and knows how to accessorize whether it’s sunshine, rain or snow. Just because it’s cold outside doesn’t mean you cannot make a long-lasting impression with your outfit. For those cold autumn mornings you can choose a classy cashmere scarf in a bold, eye-catching color and use it to complement your monochrome outfit.
For the warm, sunny days of July don’t forget to pack a wide brim hat and sunglasses when you leave the house. These will not only protect your eyes from the harmful sun rays, but they can also be a stylish companion to your summer wardrobe.
Take advantage of all the different sunglass styles available and take advantage of this go crazy with whatever type your heart desires: whether they’re Audrey Hepburn style, red heart-shaped ones or even the aviator kind, they will look flawless on you and also manage to give you that small touch of mystery.
Constantly seek inspiration
Never stop looking for inspiration. This means look at fashion shows, red carpet moments, read magazines and blogs, and you will figure out how to accessorize in new and cool ways all the time.
In particular, the SS16 season packs quite the punch as far as accessories go. We’ve seen tiaras on the runways, from Saint Laurent, Vuitton, and Miu Miu, some exquisite body chains from Alexander McQueen, Rodarte and Calvin Klein, and even some fabulous post-modern brooches courtesy of Vionnet and Dries van Noten.
It’s very important to find your own style. However, once you have found it, remember not to get stuck in it. We get that you like chandelier earrings, but how about some nice hoops or dainty studs once in a while? Mix it up, have fun and try new things.
Header image source: Grazia
Do you have any tips or tricks for accessorizing? Let us know what they are in the comment section below!